Everything You Should Know About Emergency Flood Repair
Is your commercial building at risk for flooding? According to First Street Foundation, the answer is yes. Just about 1,397,757 properties in Texas have a higher than 26% chance of being severely impacted by floods over the next 30 years, per the organization’s current projections. That translates to 18% of all properties in Texas.
Flooding can happen to anyone, anywhere in Texas, which is why it’s never too early to be prepared for emergency flood repair. In some cases, major weather events like hurricanes and thunder storms put cars, streets, and buildings underwater. In others, pipes inside a building freeze and burst, causing water damage to the building’s structural interior and contents. Whatever the case may be, acting fast is crucial to mitigate the flooding damage and to restore your property as quickly and safely as possible.
Understanding The Damage Caused By Floods
The damage caused by flooding can vary depending on the severity, duration, and type of flood you’re dealing with. Here are just a few examples of how a flood can impact your property.
- Structural Damage – Floodwaters can exert immense pressure on the building’s structure, leading to cracks in walls, foundations, and floors. This can compromise the integrity and stability of the building.
- Water Damage – Water infiltration can cause extensive damage to building materials such as drywall, insulation, carpets, and wooden structures. Prolonged exposure to moisture can result in warping, swelling, and deterioration of these materials, requiring their repair or replacement.
- Electrical Damage – Electrical systems are highly vulnerable during flooding. Water can damage wiring, electrical panels, switches, and outlets, leading to short circuits, electrical fires, or electrocution hazards. Electrical repairs should only be conducted by licensed professionals after ensuring that the power supply is safely disconnected.
- Mold and Mildew Growth – Excessive moisture and high humidity levels resulting from flooding create an ideal environment for mold and mildew growth. These fungi can spread rapidly and pose health risks.
- Contamination – Floodwaters often contain contaminants, including sewage, chemicals, and bacteria, which can contaminate the building and its contents. This contamination is a serious health hazard and necessitates thorough cleaning and disinfection to ensure safe living and working environments.
- Damage to Utilities – Floodwaters can damage essential utilities such as water supply lines, sewage systems, HVAC systems, and appliances. These systems may require repairs or replacement to restore their functionality and prevent further damage or health hazards.
- Damage to Personal Belongings – Floodwaters can destroy or irreversibly damage personal belongings, including furniture, electronics, documents, and sentimental items. Salvaging or replacing these items may be necessary depending on the extent of the damage.
Immediate Steps After A Flood
What should you do if you encounter a flood? Before you do anything else, take these crucial steps:
- Ensure personal safety and evacuate if necessary. Prioritize your well-being and evacuate the premises if necessary, especially if there is a risk of structural instability or rising water levels.
- Contact emergency services. Get in touch with emergency services to report the flooding and seek any necessary assistance.
- Contact your restoration team. If your business or commercial building has been touched by a flood, get in touch with Cavalry for emergency flood repair right away. Once you’re safe and emergency personnel have been contacted, simply give us a call any time of day. Our experienced water damage repair and restoration team will answer your call 24/7 to ensure you get the help you need, when you need it.
- Ventilate the area, if possible. If the area is safe to re-enter, remove any standing water with a wet/dry vacuum or other tools, and use fans and dehumidifiers to dry out walls, furniture, and other parts of the interior. Open windows (weather permitting) to allow fresh air to help dry out the space.
Emergency Flood Repair And Restoration: What To Expect
If you’ve experienced a flood in your property, you can trust the Cavalry team to take care of cleanup and restoration. We’ve served clients for over 30 years across Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Houston areas, repairing and restoring their commercial properties in the event of disasters like floods, fires, and other perils.
Here’s what to expect from our flood repair and restoration services.
- Initial assessment: Upon arrival at the site, the Cavalry team conducts a thorough assessment of the extent and nature of the flooding damage. This assessment helps in identifying the areas that require immediate attention and developing a comprehensive restoration plan.
- Water extraction: We begin by extracting standing water from the affected area using specialized equipment. Removing excess water is vital to prevent further damage and facilitate the drying process.
- Drying and dehumidification: Structural drying is a highly technical and scientific process that requires the work of Cavalry’s trained professionals. Once we’ve removed standing water, we employ professional-grade drying equipment such as industrial fans, dehumidifiers, and air movers to dry out the affected space.
- Reconstruction and restoration: If the flooding damage is severe, we’ll reconstruct and restore the affected parts of your property. This can involve rebuilding damaged areas, installing new flooring, repainting, and restoring the property to its pre-flood condition
Dealing with loss from a flood is an extremely challenging and stressful situation. At Cavalry, we’ve made it our mandate to ease that burden as much as possible. Our professional, highly-trained, and dedicated technicians will work with you to determine a bespoke plan for repair and restoration. No two cases are the same, and we’re always ready to discover how we can best help your specific situation.
Get in touch if you have questions about flood repair, water damage restoration, or other reconstruction services. You can reach us 24/7 at 888-601-3473.